RIP John le Carré .

RIP #JohnLeCarre

Sadly, I'm not much of a book reader(TBH's the reader in the family, an *un*stoppable force of literary nature😳!), with my days of Enid Blyton, Alistair MacLean, Franklin W. Dixon(he's real, right?!), Michael Crichton, Stephen King, Ruskin Bond long behind me…but I gotta say the few times I did make the effort I almost always turned to the great le Carré.

Look, we always heard about him growing up, especially from Pipi(naturally!), and when I finally picked up The Spy Who Came in from the Cold…man, I had to re-read it as an adult because it was so…at that age I wasn't quite ready for a non-#RogerMoore spy. But even then, the effect it had on me…😲

C'mon, a nondescript man walks up to a telephone booth in the dead of foggy night and whispers a seemingly innocuous question and receives a seemingly innocuous answer and…bang!…we're off!

His books were incredible, but I suspect what kept his name in the limelight were also the film and TV adaptations, almost all of them great, such a rarity in Hollywood, but then again, when the source material was this great….The aforementioned TSWCIFTC was the best Movie-Book Combo, Ever![Tied]…I mean #RichardBurton(😍) in *all* his cynical-with-a-heart-of-gold black-and-white glory! Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was the Best TV-Book Combo, Ever![Tied]…I mean, the *great* #AlecGuinness(😍😍😍) in all his mercurial glory! The severely underrated #TheConstantGardener with #RalphFiennes(😍) and (😍)#RachelWeisz…the sharply fun The Tailor of Panama…wait, even A Most Wanted Man was based on his book?!, great movie from Anton Corbijn…and, of course…The Night Manager…

Okay, I gotta go, with cases rising and lockdowns in full effect, I think I may, *gasp*, curl with a good book or ten, and get lost in a world of skullduggery and double-crossing and globe-trotting and espionage and dark-nights-of-the-human-soul…

- - -

#RIP #LeCarre #DavidCornwell #writer #author #books #spy #legend
@penguinbooks

- - -

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1963)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1974)
The Honourable Schoolboy (1977)
Smiley's People (1979)
A Legacy of Spies (2017)
A Perfect Spy (1986)
A Small Town in Germany (1968)
The Looking Glass War (1965)
The Russia House (1989)
The Tailor of Panama (1996)
Agent Running in the Field (2019)
The Constant Gardener (2001)
A Delicate Truth (2013)
Our Kind of Traitor (2010)
A Most Wanted Man (2008)
The Little Drummer Girl (1983)
The Night Manager (1993)
The Pigeon Tunnel (2016)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyagers .

The Dog (2014) .

WolfWalkers .