RIP Yaphet Kotto .

RIP #YaphetKotto

Another one of my all-time favourite love-that-guy character actors, who should've been given many more opportunities, but, boy did he make the *most* of what he was given.

I'm guessing I discovered him in Alien(there was a mix-up at the DC, in space no can hear you scream?, uh, no, I think they heard me pretty well that night!), and ever since then, every time he popped up on screen, I was like, dude, I love that guy.

And he always delivered, no? That slow-burn look, those intimidating eyes, that overwhelming screen presence, even without any histrionics, he had you in the palm of his hand. Maybe he got typecast a bit (Sam Jackson before Sam Jackson?), but he never phoned it in, and when he was given the chance to spread his wings, did he spread them high and wide.

PS. Homicide! Good lord, every time I managed to watch it in those pre-DVR times I was like, yo!, this is really good, but the critical and popular collective shrug with which it was met was mystifying, especially as you look back and realise that it was a *network* TV show?! Wha?! People, I tell ya, sometimes can't appreciate a good thing even when it's *right* in front of their face…

PPS. I always meant to watch Across 110th Street, what a theme song, and Kotto + Anthony Quinn, yes please!

- - -

#RIP #Yaphet #Kotto #actor #Hollywood #TV #Broadway #legend #characteractor #awesome

- - -

Alien (1979)
Midnight Run (1989)
Live and Let Die (1973) James Bond
The Running Man (1987)
Brubaker (1980)
Homicide: Life on the Street (1993)
Blue Collar (1988)
Across 110th Street (1972)
The Star Chamber (1983)
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
Bone (1972)
Two If by Sea (1996)
Homicide: The Movie (2000)
Raid on Entebbe (1977)
Othello (1980)
The Great White Hope (1969)
Fences (1987)
Law & Order (1987)
Hill Street Blues (1985)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1985)
Murder, She Wrote (1987)
Truck Turner (1974)
The Limit (1972)
Report to the Commissioner (1975)
A House Divided: Denmark Vessey's Rebellion (1982)
Nothing But a Man (1964)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyagers .

The Dog (2014) .

WolfWalkers .