RIP Richard Donner .

RIP #RichardDonner

Made *so* many of my favourite movies, in fact, he's that proverbial movie "soundtrack" to all our youths, no?

Because of the vagaries(?📚) of growing up outside of the US where movie availability and release dates were intrinsically not intertwined, it's a little hard to pinpoint which was the first movie of his I saw, and when did I see it? Was it Superman II, which I'm almost positive I watched for *years* before Superman, but then again, was it his movie(?man, I gotta put that film degree to work sometime…). It wasn't Ladyhawke was it, sadly, it wasn't even Goonies(shhh…don't tell anyone…I watched it…in college😱!), was it, OMBG, it couldn't have been Omen, could it😳?! That's a story for another TBT day…

At some point during that run between Goonies and Lethal Weapon 4, it must've seemed like every superbly-crafted, mainstream, mid-budget theatrical film was a Donner. Boy, what would Hollywood give for one of those right about now?

True story: I once saw Michael Ovitz walk out of a screening theatre shaking his head, followed by a genial, silverhaired fellow. This fellow managed to charm the fearsome Ovitz back into the theatre. Someone asked me if I knew who that was. Ovitz? No, you idiot, the other guy. Who? The Great Richard Donner. S**t, I should've gone up to him. Too late, that Someone said back to me, shaking his disappointed head.

Too late…sigh…

#RIP #Donner #director #producer #filmmaker #Hollywood #legend

Superman (1978)
The Omen (1976)
The Goonies (1985)
Lethal Weapon (1987)
Ladyhawke (1985)
Scrooged (1988)
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Radio Flyer (1992)
16 Blocks (2006)
Conspiracy Theory (1997)
Lethal Weapon 3 (1992)
Lethal Weapon 4 (1998)
Maverick (1994)
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (1980)
The Twilight Zone Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (1963)
The Toy (1982)
Inside Moves (1980)
Timeline (2003)
Assassins (1995)
Free Willy (1993)
X-Men (2000)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyagers .

The Dog (2014) .

WolfWalkers .