RIP Eddie Van Halen ..

RIP #EddieVanHalen

Guitar G*d to *millions* and an essential part of the summer soundtrack of our youth(because, back then, it was always summer, no?).

It was on one of those many(fun, before I discovered my fear of flying) #GulfAir flights that I discovered #VanHalen. Back then, if the kids can believe it, you had audio programming in different channels when you plugged in these strange rubber two-pronged neckphones. I cycled between rock, oldies, and comedy (so many awesome #TheGoonShow, er, shows, but that's a story for another #TBT day…), always embracing the opportunity to not expand my horizons. And because all of them were on a loop, if you timed it right you could listen to your favourites multiple times by returning to the channel. I listened to #WhenItsLove, oh, maybe a 1000 times!

What a strange, fun bunch! What album names: 1984(an album name that's simply a year?), OU812(an album name made up of a series of unrelated letters and numbers? ohhh…), For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge(weird title…until a batchmate helpfully pointed out the concept of an acronym to me…woah…did the teachers know we were listening to this in the common room😲?!).

Then that one evening where I watched the video for #RightNow while making my way around South India as a wayward teen (*definitely* a coming-of-age story for another TBT day😏!), man, those words hit home, no?

Later on my quirky but ever-informative suitemate Kerry taught me about guitar g*ds, strange names like #JoeSatriani, #SteveVai, #StevieRayVaughan…and, he so helpfully, explained to me, EVH.

You see, these weren't just super-fun, super-catchy, super-awesome songs that we listened to too loud in our bedrooms, no, the music had some *serious* chops behind it, and orchestrating it all was Eddie.

Years after that I met TBH, and we've been locked in a ceaseless battle since: she's Team Roth, I'm Team Hagar.

No matter what team you're on, Eddie and Van Halen will be the soundtrack to our ever-eternal youth, because as soon as you put on those headphones and those first guitar licks come crashing through the diaphragm, you're back to being a kid again, with the horizon stretched long ahead of you…

- - -

#RIP #Eddie #MozartOfRockGuitar #rock #music #rocknroll #guitar #musician #legend #hero

- - -

Van Halen (1978)
Van Halen II (1979)
Women and Children First (1980)
Fair Warning (1981)
Diver Down (1982)
1984 (1984)
5150 (1986)
OU812 (1988)
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (1991)
Balance (1995)
Van Halen III (1998)
A Different Kind of Truth (2012)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voyagers .

The Dog (2014) .

WolfWalkers .